Instagram has become one of the social networks with the most visibility and importance today, even managing to outperform Facebook (for some reason they bought it). But, it still has a big problem: it’s an application designed for mobile and the use on PC or computer is a little limited.
However, this doesn’t mean you can’t use Instagram on your PC. Fortunately, there are alternatives that allow you to use this application on your computer in a very similar way to how you are using it on your mobile:you can consume content, make video posts, photos and even post stories. There are even alternatives to direct Instagram messages.
Below I will explain some alternatives of how you can use Instagram on your PC,I will explain how to download them and how to use them.
Install Instagram using an Android Emulator
You probably already know that on many websites they are content to say that there is no official version of Instagram Desktop App. This, while true; doesn’t mean we can’t bring the mobile version to the desktop. When it is true that doing so is very simple, albeit with a high price for low-income computers.
Today, there are many Android emulators for PCon the market; the vast majority are free. And in case you don’t know, an emulator of this type what it does is play the Android operating system on your computer’s operating system. And one of the ones we like to recommend the most is Bluestacks 4. To get it, simply do it as follows:
- Go to the official website Bluestacks.
- Click the green
- Select the folder where you want it to be downloaded.
- Open the installer and accept the required permissions.
- Tap on the green button Install.
Bluestacks 4 is an emulator powered by Android video games. Which is very profitable since, being able to process video game graphics; Instagram will run with total ease. And now you just have to review our guide on How to Download and Install Instagram on a Mobile? and follow the same steps only from the emulator.
The main drawback with this method is that running one operating system within another consumes a considerable amount of resources. In this sense, every time you open Bluestacks you will notice that your PC slows down a bit; especially if it’s low-end or low-medium. At the end of the day, it’s the price to pay for Install Instagram on a PC even if it’s the mobile app.
Create Account and Sign In to Instagram
After installing Instagram on a PC it is possible to create a new account and log in the same way you would from a mobile device. Even the web version of Instagram also serves to create a new user. Although, in relation to the application; the web version usually has small differences, especially in terms of the interface. In any case, the general instructions are as follows:
To create a new account
- Open Instagram. It doesn’t matter if it’s the app or the web version, it doesn’t matter if you do it from a PC or a Smartphone.
- Select Sign up. In the app, this option is found at the end of the screen; accompanied by the question“Don’t you have an account?” However, in the case of the web version it is quite the opposite: the main page is to create a new account; with an option at the end to enter accompanied by the question“Do you have an account?”
- Record your data. On Instagram you have two options to create a new account. You can choose to use your phone number or email. You don’t have to fill in both boxes. But you must add, besides; your full name, username and password.
- Confirm your registration. If you signed up with your phone number, Instagram will send you a validation code via SMS. Conversely, if you used your email for registration; the code will be sent via email. In any case, that code serves to confirm your registration and prevent possible hacks in the future.
To log in
- Open Instagram. It doesn’t matter if it’s the app or the web version, it doesn’t matter if it’s from a PC or a Smartphone.
- Enter your details. Remember that in the web version you must select “Enter” at the bottom of the screen. While in the app, the main screen is already the login screen. In both cases, you only need to fill in the two information bars. In the second you must place your password. In the first you can place your username, but if you prefer it is also useful to use your phone number or email; depending on which one you used at the time of registration.
- Sign in with Facebook (optional). In both the web and the application you can easily find a blue button with the message “Sign in with Facebook“. This only works if you already have a Facebook account, in which case you wouldn’t even need to create a new user for Instagram.
On both computers and mobiles you can click on the question “Forgot your password?“in case you don’t remember her. To reset it, a code will be sent to your email or phone number that you will need to insert when following the instructions that appear. But you can also allow your device or browser to save your password to sign in automatically.
To log out
- In the app. User (icon of a > person) Settings (gear > icon) Options > section (left pane) Select Exit at the end of the list > Confirm the logout notice.
- In the web version. User (icon of a > person) Settings (gear icon) > Select
Use Instagram directly in your browser
Thanks to Google Chrome, you can turn the Instagram version for computer into a desktop application. You do this by logging directly into your website from your browser, and then using Chrome tools to add it to your desktop.
Here’s a step-by-step explain:
- Go to the Instagram website: instagram.com and sign in to your account how you would normally do on your mobile. 2. At the top of Instagram go to the menu and look for the option that says“More Tools”. There you will find a submenu where you will see the option “Add to desktop.”3. A small pop-up window will open where you will see the name of the application and you must confirm that you want to add it by clicking on the “Add.”4. Once you have confirmed it, you will be able to see the icon of the application that has been added to your desktop and you will be able to manage it independently and pin it in the taskbar if you prefer.
Whenever you want you can open your application from this icon, with the disadvantage that with this alternative you can only consume Instagram content, that is, you will not be able to upload photos or videos. But below I’m going to show you other alternatives than if you’re allowed to.
Instagram Web for PC
Finally, there is the theme of the web version of Instagram. This version does not require the installation of any program or application other than having a web browser. It can be opened both from a PC and from a mobile browser.
The problem is that the Web version of Instagram does not allow postings of any kind. It only serves to view your contacts’ posts, interact with them using the Like buttons, make comments, review your notifications, and enter the settings section to modify something if you wish.
Install the official app for Windows from the Windows Store (available for Windows 10)
Steps to Install Instagram with Windows 10
The Instagram mobile app usually comes pre-installed on Windows 10 Smartphones. This means that the App is available in the Microsoft Store. And you know what? Well, the Microsoft app store handles the same content for both mobile and desktop. So if you open the Microsoft Store from a PC or Laptop running Windows 10, you can find the Mobile app for Instagram.
Although some applications, especially video games; they are compatible with only one of these two versions of Windows 10 (mobile or computer), the vast majority are compatible on both. This is just the case with Instagram App, which can be perfectly processed by the desktop version of Windows 10.
In conclusion, having this operating system; Simply apply the following five steps to install Instagram on a PC.
from your PC
- Writes Instagram in the store’s search bar to go to your homepage.
- Click the blue Install button. You may see a “Get” button first.
- Wait for Instagram to finish downloading and installing on your computer.
- Select the blue Start button to open the app immediately. Or close the store and open Instagram from the Start menu.
The best thing about this method is that you get the application with 100% of its functions and capabilities. In fact, as long as you have a camera and a microphone connected to your computer; you can make new posts the same way you would from a mobile. And all with the advantage of not slowing down your computer the same way that an emulator does.
On the other hand, the main problem with this option to install Instagram on a PC; is that it only works with the Windows 10 operating system. Although there is a possibility that it can still be done from a Windows 8 or 8.1 computer, but it is not safe because these systems have already been forgotten by Microsoft executives.
This procedure is as simple as it sounds: just go to the Windows app store, search for Instagram, download and install, just like you would with any other app. The first version of this app had a small detail that could be noticed when downloading it: it was designed for touch devices.
However, this version was updated in early 2018, resulting in a Instagram app on PC fully functional and the same as you use on any mobile device. The download and installation process is very simple and i will explain it step by step:
- You enter the Windows app store: Windows Web Store, click on the home button and then you search for the app store icon. 2. Once in the Windows app store you type Instagram in the search bar and below you will see the official app icon in blue. 3. You click on it and the window will open with the description of the app and the download option (just as would happen if you were downloading it on mobile). 4. Click the blue button that says “Get” and immediately the application download process will start. At the end of the download you click on the “Start” to run the application. 5. The initial screen of the app will open which looks exactly the same as the mobile app, so you’ll only need to sign in with your username and password,as you normally would on any other device.
Use Instagram for PC: all its features
Now that you have the application installed, the following is the easiest thing: to make the posts. If you are already familiar with Instagram this process should not be anything complicated or new for you, however, I will show you how it works in this PC application so that you see that it is exactly the same as on your mobile.
- Once you’re signed in, if you want to post, click the small camera in the upper-left corner of the screen and select the image you want to publish.2. It will show you a notification asking you to allow access to the camera so you can share photos and videos. If you wish, you can also activate access to the microphone.3. If you wish also you can add stories and see the stories your friends have postedon the home screen, just like you would in the app on your mobile. 4. A very important functionality that adds this app and that was not available for PC is the fact that be able to send and receive messages in the Instagram inbox. It works exactly like in the mobile app: you click on the fringe in the top right (it’s not really an arrow, it’s a paper plane, but it resembles the arrow and a lot of people think it is) and a new window will open where you can send and re receive all your chat messages. 5. Just like on your mobile, if there are any users who are being unwelcome, you can report or block. Just click on the information symbol you find in the top right corner (the i inside the circle) and then you’ll see the options you have: Mute Notifications, Report or Block.6. Also you can go to your profile and edit the information you need:change the photo, the timeline and everything, as if you were on your mobile. For that you simply enter your profile and click on the gear located in the top right. 7. It will open the option to edit your profile, there you find all your user information. 8. When you have made all your changes just click on the Done option and you’re done. One trick to keep in mind here is that if you can’t modify your profile picture in this space, by logging into the official Instagram website you can do it.
This Instagram app for PC is really that it is quite complete, the only disadvantage you could see it at the moment is that is only available for Windows 10. Users of Windows 7 or other versions will have to upgrade if they want to use this new application or, if not, keep waiting for it to be available for their version of the operating system.
Finally, if you find it easier, you can download the official Instagram app for PC from the Windows Web Store by clicking here.